Progress Update:
Aidan had an easy time with letter/sound correspondence and number recognition up to 100.
He also surprised me by mastering easily the words for the numbers up to ten. Since it was new and also a lot of fun for him, we should continue to practice occasionally.
Addition is a big struggle -- not doing it, but getting the concept. I am thinking of moving past the beginner ones since he can count them so easily. I'll just advance as if he were a regular primary schooler and let him use manipulatives to reinforce until he gets it down by repeated exposure.
Another possibility for addition is to have him construct his own addition sentences.
Reading is progressing. We'll continue the way we're going, with word lists on the computer and lessons from Starfall. I may make some cards for him, since he loves those.
Another possibility is to make little books for him with nursery rhymes and simple poems since he loves rhymes.
With the word cards he could do word families. This may be good for Paddy's spelling, as well.
Also I may have him cut out the words from one of his invented sentences, then arrange the words in the sentence order using a model at first, then fade to doing it on his own.
With religion, I'm a bit at a loss. The Christian Brothers say that prayers are the essence of beginning faith. He memorizes well. I could associate pictures with the concepts in the prayers and explain them very simply.
It might help with Paddy, too. The concepts I explain to Aidan are the core concepts of the lessons I am teaching Paddy.
Also, Aidan may enjoy the Catholic Treasure Box series.... especially if we just browse through the pictures together.
I would like to make a preschool notebook with him.
As usual, Aidan does great at any life skill. And as usual we don't get therapy homework done regularly. That is his mom's fault.
Some general notes:
I'm going to postdate these plans so they show up at the top of the blog all week. Then at the end of the week, I can tell what actually got done.
I may put a brief daily log at the Learning Notes blog and then link to them on Friday by day, then archive them on here.
Like this:
- Monday
- Tuesday
- Wednesday
- Thursday
- Friday
- overview (overview would be on here).